The Grey Lit Café
Writing book proposals (III): good practice for authors
August 23, 2022
Anthony Haynes writes: In this episode, we provide constructive advice for prospective authors.
Dr Engy Moussa and I focus on good practice to boost the chances of eliciting a publishing contract.
- defining your market(s)
- incorporating the potential for
- export sales
- rights sales
- year-on-year sales
- identifying ways of reaching your market(s)
- positioning your book in relation to other products
- selling points: the need for your book and the benefits that your book will provide to readers
This is the third and final episode in a three-part series on book proposals. The previous two episodes both identify pitfalls that often prevent authors from producing effective proposals.
The episodes are here:
- Writing book proposals (I): 4 things not to do
- Writing book proposals (II): 5 common pitfalls